A roof is one of the essential parts of a commercial building, and it is also one of the most vulnerable to storm damage. High winds can cause shingles and tiles to lift off, exposing the underlying roofing material to the elements.
Heavy rains can saturate and weaken the structural components of the roof. At the same time, hail can puncture holes and cause extensive damage.
In this article, we’ll talk about the signs of storm damage on roofs and the additional damages that can occur. Keep reading to learn more!
Damages of Storm Damage to Your Commercial Roof
When air or moisture becomes trapped between the layers of a multi-layer roof or between the single-ply membrane and insulation, bubbles or blisters can form.
After a storm, it’s crucial to inspect your roof for any damage that may have occurred. Look for bubbles or blisters, which could be indicative of a leak.
Moisture can travel long distances from its point of entry, so the location of the bubbles may not necessarily be where the leak is coming from.
This is called ponding if water is present on your flat roof for more than 48 hours after it rains. It often happens when there are depressions in the roof caused by compacted insulation beneath the top surface.
With every storm, the pond on your roof grows larger and heavier, compressing the insulation and causing further damage. Soon, vegetation can begin to grow from your rooftop– making it look unsightly and embarrassing and damaging the integrity of your roof.
- Water Leaks
One of the most obvious signs of damage after a storm is water leaking through the roof and onto the ceiling below. One of the most common is missing or damaged shingles.
- HVAC Damage
Your commercial roof is also vulnerable to damage from high winds and debris. If the wind blows something into your HVAC unit, it can cause extensive damage that will be very expensive to repair.
- Mold Growth
Although most mold is not particularly hazardous, black and green molds can be dangerous to humans, so never disregard a mold problem.
5 Potential Signs Of A Roof Leak:
- Water spots on your ceiling or walls: Water spots might be small and unnoticeable initially, but if left unchecked, they will grow larger and darker over time.
- Peeling paint: If the color on your walls or ceiling is peeling, this could be a sign that water is leaking through the roof and causing damage.
- Missing shingles: After a storm, it’s essential to inspect your roof for any missing or damaged shingles.
- Cracked or damaged shingles: In addition to missing shingles, you should also look for any broken or damaged shingles. These can be indicative of a roof leak.
- Water spots or wet roof decking (seen through the attic): If you have an accessible attic, look around after it rains. If you see any water spots or wet roof decking, this is a sure sign that your roof is leaking.
Don’t Wait for Your Roof to Collapse; Hire the Experts!
At Walton Contractors, we understand the importance of a well-maintained commercial roof. Not only does it play a critical role in protecting your business from the elements, but it also improves your energy efficiency and reduces your operating costs.
We’re among the best commercial roof companies. If you want a commercial roofing replacement, don’t hesitate to hire our reliable roof storm damage services.